Ever looked on the packet of something you're about to eat and seen lists of ingredients that only a scientist would understand? Unfortunately there are a lot of GMO (genetically modified organisms) in our foods which we can't be sure are too good for our bodies. The most common GMO ingredients to look out for are high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS), aspartame, MSG, trans-fats, food dyes, sulfur dioxide and potatssium bromate.
What's great is we're beginning to ask what's in our foods. If you're concerned with what's in your food then try some of these simple tips to help you avoid GMO foods and feed your body what it deserves.
1. Look for non-GMO labelling - if you see a non-GMO label it means there's less than 0.9% GMOs.
2. Buy organic - When you buy 100% certified organic products you are more likely to avoid GMOs than if you buy products labeled as containing "organic ingredients." So keep an eye out for the organic label.
3. Shop at farmer's markets - This is where you'll often find organic produce free from GMOs. Avoid always visiting a supermarket. We know it's convenient but it's much more fun picking your fruit and vegetables yourself, plus you don't come away with all that unnecessary packaging!
5. Watch our for processed foods - In North America it has been reported that 80% of foods contain GMOs - wow! Most packaged and pre-prepared foods contain GMOs, often to help them last longer and taste nicer. Try to cook fresh foods with as many organic ingredients as you can as this is the only way you're going to protect your body from GMOs.4. Read food labels - It's best to eat foods that don't have lots of scientific chemical words on the ingredient list. Try to buy foods that have just a few ingredients on the packet that you actually recognise!
6. Buy organic meat too - Lots of animals are fed these foods pumped with GMOs so unfortunately it is then passed onto us when we eat it.
If we were to give you one piece of advice from this blog, it would be to READ what's in the food you're eating. We need to be aware of what is going into our bodies and go back to the traditional days of cooking real food. Your body will love you in return for feeding it with real goodness!
The Bootea Team xx